Friday, March 18, 2011

Inspiration from unusual places

While walking down the hallway on my floor at 15 west, I noticed something familiar about the ceiling above me. The ceiling, I realized, is essential a compressed mat of fibers - not too dissimilar from rice straw fibers. It's a pretty generic ceiling cover, but it works for the building and environment. I bet the materials we have in studio - bagasse, rice straw, sugarcane waste and maybe rice hulls could be compressed in the same way.


I went to Staples a couple of days ago and found a notebook that states it was made of 80% sugarcane waste. I think this was pretty interesting, so I looked online at other notebooks that have been made from sugarcane waste. O'BON is another company that makes sugarcane notebooks. The pages of the notebook are white, unlike many "eco-notebooks." I like what they've done and sent them an email asking them if they could elaborate of their notebook-making process. Let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment