Saturday, March 26, 2011

Weaving

I decided to explore weaving as a potential process for rice straw. Rice straw has been woven into textiles in the past and has permeated slightly into consumer culture in the past through straw hats, fans, bags, etc. Straw mats and larger textile products may provide a larger market for this specific material.


I tried plaiting rice straw. It turned out to be a long, but satisfying process. Rice straw is weavable when wet, but it can turn brittle after it dries. Braiding the straw helps in making sure the individual strands don't break.




I also tried creating a smaller sample of woven rice straw that involves plaiting multiple strands at a time.


I think the biggest challenge right now is continuing the strands and making sure that there's a way to make larger woven pieces. Right now, the samples are limited by the length of the rice straw. There is the possibility of overlapping strands when weaving or knotting, sowing or adhering them together. That might be the next step. Hopefully I can also create a better loom so that I can reduce the amount of time it takes to make a sample.

No comments:

Post a Comment